What You Need in a Motorcycle Oil Change Kit
In order to perform the oil change, you’ll need to create or purchase a motorcycle oil change kit. You can purchase all of the materials you need from our parts center near Cottage Grove! Here’s a list of the materials you’ll need for your motorcycle oil change:
- Bike stand
- Drain pan
- Gloves and rags
- Strap wrench
- Torque wrench
How to Change Motorcycle Oil: Step-By-Step
Now that you know how often to change your ATV oil, there are some signs that you should keep an eye out for that will also tell you when your ATV needs oil service. Here’s how to know when your ATV needs an oil change:
- Run the engine for about 30 minutes to warm up the oil.
- Set your bike on a stand to keep it steady.
- Place your drain pan under the drain plug.
- Unscrew the drain plug by hand and let the old oil drain into the pan.
- Loosen the old filter with the strap wrench, then remove it. Empty the remaining oil in the filter into the drain pan.
- Lubricate the O-ring on your new filter with a bit of oil from the drain pan. This will help it slip into place more easily when you install it.
- Add a small amount of oil to the filter itself, so the engine doesn’t run dry the next time you start it.
- Install the new filter, and keep turning it until you feel some resistance. Then, give it a final half-turn. Be careful not to over-tighten!
- Wipe the drain plug clean and check the sealing washer for damage. If it looks undamaged, it’s safe to use it again. Flip it over and replace it on the drain plug. If your bike has an O-ring instead of a sealing washer, you’ll need to replace it every time.
- Reinstall the drain plug with a torque wrench, using 14 to 16 foot-pounds of torque. Again, be careful not to over-tighten it.
- Pour in the new oil.
- Start your engine and let it idle for a few minutes to ensure that everything is working properly.
Visit Trak Powersports for Expert Motorcycle Service
Learning how to change motorcycle oil is a straightforward process. But if you’d professionals to take care of the job, you can always rely on the certified technicians at Trak Powersports. Our service team is equipped with the proper tools, and knowledge, to keep your motorcycle running smoothly for years to come. And, we even offer service specials, so drivers like you can maintain their powersports without breaking the bank. In the meantime, be sure to check out more of your service and parts tips, where you can find lots of information on motorcycle care.