Riding a Motorcycle in Winter
Most Springfield motorcycle enthusiasts are three-season riders, but if you’re the type that continues riding a motorcycle in the winter, there are some crucial things you must do to make it safer and more pleasant. Below are some tips to prepare your motorcycle for winter riding, along with a few winter safety pointers.
- Put new antifreeze in your motorcycle if it is a water-cooled bike
- Buy a quality set of motorcycle winter tires
- Use wind guards to protect your legs
- Use a large windscreen to protect yourself from the bitter winds
- Get a set of heated grips for your handlebars and heated riding gear
- Ensure your hoses and radiator are in good condition
Above all, you need to know the correct way of riding a motorcycle in the winter. Keep your eyes out for salt, gravel, and black ice on Cottage Grove streets, and increase your following distance. Also, avoid riding your motorcycle while it’s snowing.
How to Store a Motorcycle for Winter
Most Creswell riders want to put their bike away for the winter. If that sounds like you, keep reading to learn how to store a motorcycle for winter.
- Put your motorcycle in a climate-controlled and secure storage area.
- If you don’t have a climate-controlled garage, ensure a heavy-duty cover for your bike to insulate it from the cold.
- Thoroughly wash and wax it before storing it.
- Check your battery to make sure it’s in good condition.
- Fill the fuel tank up to about 90% of its capacity.
- Replace your motor oil and filters.
- Lubricate the chain, cables, controls, and other moving parts.
- Flush out other fluids, especially your antifreeze.
- Drain the float bowls on the carburetor (if your bike has one).
Get More DIY Motorcycle Care Tips from Trak Powersports
Trak Powersports is your best source for all your motorcycle needs, from motorcycle winter tires to a new dirt bike or repairs. Whether you’re an advanced rider or a novice who just received your endorsement, our team is here to help! Check out our service tips and tricks, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.